Monday, May 4, 2009

CONSUMERISM

I thought this was kind of funny and that it does prove that people consume for the wrong reasons all the time.
Learning to consume starts early and is influenced more and more about how much money your family has.



This is true. When your unhappy the quickest way to suddenly be happy is to consume something and anything.

Yes. Less is not enough. We need more and more, nothing seems to satisfy our need to consume.



Can you say credit problems? Our need to consume and the availability of credit cards has ruined how credit used to be.

Does consumerism look healthy? He looks like hes has a feed. HMMM not good!!!!!

So I was going to do my visual essay on dystopia, but then I realized I didn't know what I would write about, so I switched to consumerism and picked these pictures. I feel all the cartoons tell about a different piece of consumerism. None of them show a good side, because I don't think the bad side is shown enough. Anyways the cartoons are just a representation of the "evilness" of consuming and they show what no one wants to really think about. I suppose over my lifetime I have developed some of the same qualities as other consumers, but since I didn't grow up with a lot of money I think I have been more able to stay individual and not buy into all of the crap. Yeah I still see things and want them, but I will not buy them unless I really really want them or actually do need them. If you ever go shopping with me you will see that I do not buy much and I am very frugal. I think it is pointless to pay a lot of money for a shirt just because it is "cool." I do have an i-pod and cell phone, but I take care of them and I don't need a new one all the time. Over my lifetime I have seen shows and other things in life that show the bad side of consumerism. Like the reality shows about rich people and how they don't even have to think twice about a $2,000 dollar shirt, that looks just like the one at target that costs $10.00. The difference between the rich and poor is extraordinary and it seems like status is only looked at by how much you have, and not who you are.

Everything in life influences me about consuming and tells me different things. T.V, radio, people and so forth. I think I am actually happier that I haven't always gotten what I want, because then I would probably be a snobby, spoiled brat (whom I hate now lol). I feel that the things and ideas I've developed are okay and that as long as they never go over the top and I still can keep myself individual and sane I will be all good. Consuming is a part of life. It is just how you consume that makes you who you are.























No comments:

Post a Comment