Sunday, May 17, 2009

Feed project reflection

Well for my project I decided to make a collage of what my feed would look like. It doesn't have everything my feed would have, but it does have a lot of it and its a PG.13 version of what my feed would be like. :) My feed has pretty colors and things that interest me. There is advice, pictures of famous people and swim suits. Pretty much it is a random pile of crap I like to see. I'm not sure why my mind thinks in this way. I suppose its just stuff I've learned to like over time. Things around me do affect how I feel, so I like to be surrounded by good things and in my mind all this stuff is good. American culture IS consuming. Every one will end up buying something they don't need, but are made to believe that they do. Who you are is sadly based upon materialistic bases, at a first glance. Plenty of people have defied society's views and have succeeded in life (by society's standards of course). And others have even been happy with not having a lot and just being their own person.

Technology is something used every day in almost every person's life. It is part of the American society. People resist either because they can't afford it or they don't want to bother with it. Right now it is okay to resist technology, but in the future it will probably be less and less easy to live life with out it. Consumerism and anti-consumerism are seen a lot as well. Either one of these can be resisted and its still OK, but if the world comes to something like FEED either path will be a destructive one like in the story. Consuming hurts them and not consuming hurts them. Nobody wins there. All the jumbled mess of this society affects me of course, but not in such a way that I would rely all of my happiness on materials. I could still go on with life if I had all the people I loved in one place and no technology (I think). This topic is confusing to me though because I could make arguments with both sides and not be able to fully stick to either one. I am like a person in the middle. It is like when we did that thing in class where you stood at the place you felt agreed with the question. I often found myself in the middle, because I analyze things thoroughly and come up stuck still. To myself I feel I keep my individuality and stay with what I like. I don't change my mentality just because society does. To tell the truth I don't even know how trends start or how things get "molded." Its just another thing I don't bother with thinking about to much.

For this story.... Of course there is a moral. I think he is on the side of the argument that consumerism will kill us no matter what. If you don't consume you die, but if you do you still die. I feel like I say this a lot, but no one wins. Ever heard that Life is unfair? Well its pretty damn true in this case. Anderson shows us this by telling what he thinks will happen. It could very well come to this and I'm not sure if anything will even be done. He even shows that without this tool to consume you are nothing, like in the case of how Violet's father is portrayed. When it comes to why Titus orders all of those pants, I am not entirely sure why. It could be him rebelling, malfunctioning or trying to feel better. I think I am leaning more toward him feeling better, because he does do it right after Violet dies. Finally the end of the book... "Everything must go..." The world must end, and everything will mean nothing, but at least you will have it when you thought it would be important even though it has actually killed you.

No comments:

Post a Comment