Monday, May 25, 2009

Persepolis Blog numba 2 :D

Time for blog two. I'm going to miss doing these things (only a little). Well might as well get right to it (the prompts I want to write about haha).

LAUGH!!!

Citizens of Iran still had a lot of fun, but in secret. They still had parties and laughter. Marji's parents even go to some extremes to get their daughter some fun stuff from another country. They actually sneak in a poster for her by sewing it into her father's jacket. People hide board games and cards in their home and work hard not to get found out. Marji's blatant curiosity had me laughing often. The way she was kind of unknowingly shielded from things and then learning them later than many was pretty funny. Like when she tried to pee like a boy and ended up peeing on herself. :D Oh and when she was in Austria and one of the girls was telling her all about sex. It was all new to her and to me I thought it was intriguing. Young Marji always had questions and wanted answers as well. She also felt that she should not be shielded and her parents didn't really try to shield her either. When Marji thought she would be the next prophet I smiled, because I knew that she had no idea what she was up against. Satrapi provides comic relief in very good places. I like how she showed Marji's reaction to Anoosh's story about the sex in prison. It helps relieve the tension of the death, but you still know it is serious. These scenes help you to understand what kind of person Marji is and it helps you to be able to see how things were in her eyes more. She isn't just any girl with no heart or life. You get the feel of how she is and can sort of feel what she is going through.


REBELLION

Aaahhh the rebellious children. Well the kids fought the rules in many ways. At first it was not wearing the veil, then wearing it incorrectly. Then it was wearing make-up sneakily and jeans under the veil. Most of their fashion was coming from western areas slowly, so to them they had to at least try to keep up with it and copy what they were doing. Plus they didn't appreciate the sudden change of how they were supposed to be. When I think of how I would have been in this environment I'm not sure. I am kind of a scaredy ass when it comes to getting punished for things so I would probably rebel in a small way, but for the most part I would try to follow the rules closely. When they were all doing the secret parties, I don't think I would have attended, just for the fact that I knew if I got caught I would get into serious trouble. I think Marji rebels like this because she was raised to rebel. Her parents always let her know that this new regime was way out there. As a teen I do rebel in my own way I suppose. Its just never anything big. I often don't do homework, but that's not rebelling because I still get As. Lets see... I have snuck out of the house a few times and I wear clothes my grandma tells me not to wear, but for the most part I don't really have restricting rules. I am trusted to do what will help me succeed in life, not fall back and fail. Satrapi, to me, is a normal kid because she wants to be cool and smart like every one else. She keeps up with the trends (well once they get to Iran) and tries hard to succeed. She actually does follow her religion some what until she gets with other kids from other countries, then it becomes less important. Marji is just a kid who is pressured to not rebel and her consequences are worse, but like any other kid she will still rebel no matter what.

Maji's familia.

Marji's family is like the perfect family to have. They are understanding and teach Marji very good life lessons. When Marji wants to do things the regime forbids the parents try to help her, because they feel she should be able to do what she wants. Marji's parents believe in being free and not made to do these silly things that take the fun out of life. What they want is for their daughter to succeed and know the truth about their beloved country. Even with the oppressive regime on their back, her parents try to give Marji the best life and they keep her in a very comfortable environment. If she has questions they answer them truthfully. They do not think that they should hide the bad stuff, because they know that will not help her to understand what is going on. Many parents would probably disapprove of telling a young child tales of war and death, but it is because of these tales that Marji grows up so strong and determined to make her life better. Her parents get their strength from their parents. Marji's grandma is often around and she has the same ideals as Marji's parents. She knows how the country once was and what war has done to it. She helps to teach Marji wrong from right and keeps her in check from time to time. In this case family is probably the most important factor in the way that Marji grew up. They taught her a lot and helped her very much throughout her life.

No comments:

Post a Comment